Al Gore Launches Victoria’s Renewable Energy Action Plan
The Andrews Labor Government has released Victoria’s Renewable Energy Action Plan, backed by $146 million in funding to deliver more renewable, affordable and reliable energy for Victoria.
Former United States Vice President Al Gore and Minister for Energy, Environment and Climate Change Lily D’Ambrosio launched the plan today after riding on one of Melbourne’s iconic trams which will soon be powered by solar energy.
This is one of several initiatives announced in the $146 million Renewable Energy Action Plan.
The Plan also includes:
- $48.1 million for renewable energy certificate purchasing, including powering Victoria’s tram fleet
- $25 million to deploy grid-scale battery storage facilities in the west of Victoria by next summer
- $15.8 million for smart software system, solar and battery storage microgrid initiatives
The Labor Government is already getting on with delivering several key renewable energy actions for Victoria, including:
- Setting ambitious yet achievable renewable energy generation targets of 25 per cent by 2020 and 40 per cent by 2025
- Establishing three pilot community power hubs in the Latrobe Valley, Ballarat and Bendigo to enable community groups to access renewable energy expertise and services
- Creating the Centre for New Energy Technologies and appointing the Victorian Renewable Energy Advocate
Mr Gore joined Ms D’Ambrosio and senior representatives of other states and territories today to discuss the important role states play in transitioning our economy to net zero emissions by 2050, and explore opportunities for interstate collaboration.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Energy, Environment and Climate Change Lily D’Ambrosio
“This funding represents the most significant government investment in renewable energy in Victoria’s history.”
“We need to ensure that the new energy technology sector is equipped to create jobs, attract investment and grow the economy for the benefit of all Victorians – and we’re doing just that.”
“The Renewable Energy Action Plan will help us deliver affordable, sustainable and reliable energy for Victoria.”